Pageviews past week

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Premonition



               Take one part Groundhog Day and throw in a piece of The Sixth Sense and toss in a splash of The Forgotten and you have Premonition.  This movie (in premise at least) is creepy, suspenseful and intriguing. It’s supposed t be a nail bitter, the idea is keep you the audience glued to the edge of their seat. Weather or not it does so is up for debate.

        Sandra Bullock’s performances are always inconsistent as are the box office success of her movies. She does movies that make her seem like a viable actress such as Speed and Miss Congeniality. She also does duds like 28 days and the sequels for her hit movies such as Speed 2 and Miss Congeniality 2. 

         This movie falls somewhere in between.  It sort of balances out her previously mentioned films. While it’s not the runaway success that Speed was. It’s not the cause for commitment the 28 days was. It’s just A premonition but I don’t movie catapulting her to future Oscar successes. Then again what do I know this is only a hobby?

The synopsis is simple.  Linda Hanson (Bullock) is a devoted wife to her husband of some time Jim Hanson. (Julian McMahon) the have two beautiful daughters and a new house they can’t afford. She gets a knock on her door one day telling her that her husband was killed in a highway accident. The catch is she wakes up the next day to a familiar body watching TV in her kitchen. Is she going crazy or was it just a dream. When she continues to see him die again and again she must separate fiction from reality and find her sanity. When it seems like all is lost. 

The only catch is, this movie will drive you insane trying to figure out what side is up.  Is this the present or the past? Is she awake or asleep?  In short, what the hell is going on here? Normally, I’d be enticed, but somehow, for some reason just not today.  I wasn’t for this particular movie. I felt empathetic. I just didn’t care if she was normal or insane I don’t give a rat’s hairy ass if the husband lives or dies. I just felt blaze.  I wonder if the scriptwriters could empathize with me. I’m more concerned about the audience. Will this movie ever draw one for that matter?  It got me for two dollars. 

I gave the Forgotten a B-. I likened Groundhog Day for a B+. The Sixth Sense of coarse was an A+ all the way.   This movie is not as good as any of those. It only deserves a C+.

                                                                                                                                                                                                     Grade C+

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm