Pageviews past week

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

It’s Complicated


This movie may be the most perfectly titled movie ever. The plot is fairly simple. Jane and Jake Adler are an aging couple late in their years and divorced for 10 years. He is remarried of course to a significantly younger woman and she lives alone in a huge mansion like home. This is a story of their mostly sexual affair they have when both of them are looking for more out of life. 

For the most part this movie made me feel uncomfortable. I never really laughed at this so-called romantic comedy and I could not relax for the duration of this two-hour and one minute film. This film had a lot of familiar seen it before been there done that comic scenarios. For instance two older characters getting high at a college graduation party. In short nothing in this movie was terribly creative or original. I have nothing against always reliable scenarios mind you I just never really liked this film. 

       The acting was good and the direction was excellent. Nancy Meyers is the director and is well known in the field of comedy films. See has directed such films as The Holiday, Something’s Gotta Give, and What Women Want. She has written a few classics too. She has even been producer on many comedy classics. She was all three in this film. 

        The two main actors in this title are both very well known veterans of the big screen. Almost everybody in America has heard of both Alec Baldwin and Meryl Streep. Steve Martin stars in this movie two so the cast is legendary. I have no complaints about any of them. 

      Once again I admit I am a very harsh critic on comedy movies. I never truly enjoyed this film and was never really surprised by its comedic scenarios. I will not rent this movie again nor will I recommend it to anyone I know. It is just another average run of the mill comedy. If you want me to laugh then be creative. This film was never creative. Feel free to write me back and disagree. 

Grade C-

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm