Pageviews past week

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Master And Commander : The Far Side of the World

Ok putting my personal feelings aside for Russell Crowe. (which are loathing and hatred.) He did a good job in this movie. That being said however the role didn’t really show his scope as an actor. I first heard of and saw Mr. Crowe in 2001’s A Beautiful Life. He won an Oscar for that role. I have two more of his movies on the top of my Netflix Queue. I’ll see if I ‘m a fan of his in time. I’m aware that his movie was nominated for 10 Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director for Peter Weir. It only won two however and they were minor technical awarded for Best Cinematography and Best Sound Editing. There is a reason they hand out those awards at the beginning of the ceremony nobody really cares about them. (friends and family aside of coarse) This movie was not that good. Sure it looked pretty and sounded spectacular as the aforementioned winning Oscars syndicated. As many regular movie goers are well aware the box office and the Academy usually do not see eye to eye. In short the movie that makes all the money rarely take home the gold. We all know however that Hollywood is predicated on the face of the dollar bill so as the expression goes “it’s all about the Benjamin’s.” While I don’t know exacttly how much this movie raked in it wasn’t earthshattering. I didn’t like that fact that movie was over two hours in length. (Two eighteen to be exact.) I also didn’t enjoy that this movie was so drawn out with more drama and dialogue between action. There are a lot of smaller characters and lesser scenes that could have been omitted from this final work and still told the story precisely. Some of those smaller parts and lesser characters however did steal the spotlight away from the marquee name of Russell Crowe. The doctor (Paul Bettany) and the first mate/best friend character (James D’Arcy) stood out as exempliery performers in their less significant sreen time. All in all the movie was drawn out and lackadaisical or at least the viewer was in seeing it through to the end. I managed to muddle through it and believe my self a better person for it. If not that a more prolific writer for writing this review. At over my usually one page review length the word prolific may be a better chose than my usual rare vocal word of brevity since I desire most of my reviews to be only one page in length. Grade C

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm