Pageviews past week

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Eight Men Out

Today is July 14th 2009. The sports headlines are riddled with steroid use, free agency and million dollar paychecks. This movie is about a better more innocent time. It was roughly 1 decade before the great depression and baseball was being played purely for the fun of the sport. The players couldn’t imagine being paid a six figured salary. Nor would they ever dream of being traded. There in lies the rub. For the antagonist at the heart of the film is a greedy, heartless, philanderer named Charles ‘Comnmie’ Comisky. (Why they named the stadium after him I’ll never know.) He pays the team next to nothing and makes it nearly impossible to earn allegedly promised bonuses. When he does deliver the just one promised “bonus” it takes the form of flat champaign. I am a devout blue collar Christian I make next to nothing. I can realte to the players. Ok that is two paragraphs on the plot set up, let’s move on to the cast. It stars John Mahoney, Charlie Sheen, and DB Sweeney. What better late eighties casting call can you make than that. The plot is about baseball. What better movie for the middle of June is there than this one. The costumes are excellent as well. I admit I have never lived in 1919 but I feel like I have now. Normally I focus on one actor and his standout performance in the film I am currently critiquing. This time however I will focus on a single character. That thus said character is Shoeless Joe Jackson, He is much more realistic, friendly, and down to Earth than, The White Sox I used to cheer for when I lived in Chicago. Those players being ‘Black’ Jack McDowell, Frank Thomas nicknamed The Big Hurt or even the original Iron Man himself Bo Jackson. In fact he was the focus of one of my previously critiqued films named Field of Dreams. Well his dreams came true on the baseball fiield and were crushed by the black sox Scandal at the heart of this remarkable film. If there were an Oscar for best character Mr. Jackson should win it hands down two times over. One for each hand. Please don’t tell tasht to the Mr. Jackson that is still alive today. He is a big man A may kick my but as a result. Grade B+

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm