Pageviews past week

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Books or Movies: Witch is a Better bang for your buck!

It seems now a days that book collections are being turned into movie series even before the last book of the three-part trilogy is published. In the bookstore at Eastern University they are selling such double format titles like The Millennium Trilogy (The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo) and The Hunger Game. Another book on the self is long been out of the movie house. It is hot in the Redbox however and it is been nominated for multiple Academy Awards including Best Picture. The book in question is Moneyball by Michael Lewis. In the case of The Hunger Game series the first cinematic feature or will not even hit theaters until the end of March yet the book covers have already been altered. When you look at the title cover of Dear John by Nicholas Sparks; a noted novelist, you see the images of Amanda Seyfried and Channing Tatum. Mr. Tatum and Ms. Seyfried are stars of Hollywood, not characters in a romance novel. A more recent addition to the duel format trend are comic book inspired films. We saw three comic heroes launch to the big screen in 2011 alone. They were Captain America, Green Lantern and Thor. Amongst these many multicolored, there are hits and misses this can be said with book series too. Does anybody remember the five book Percy Jackson series? Only one of them made it to the big screen. While the Harry Potter books however are practically required reading in schools today. Percy Jackson only saw the cinematic forefront once. (in five books) The seven book Harry Potter collection was made into eight movies the final entry in 3D. Now whether it romance novels, dystopia world kids series or graphic novels there seems to be a great debate whether to read the book or simply watch the movie. If you ask any student on Eastern’s campus they will conceivably sell their sole if you could turn their text book into a movie. Max Holland a senior here on campus said. “I only wish they made the Bible into a movie.” He laughs. “That would make my weekly Bible Study a lot easier.” As movie consumer myself I am constantly torn on the issue. I have written over 800 movie reviews and lost track of the number of books I have read. So I am here to answer the question not quite answered. Which is the better form of entertainment, Getting lost in a book or experiencing the far away world of movie? May I first point out that there are seemingly more books to choose from then there are movies. If you don't believe me just look around the corner. The Anthony Wayne movie theater has only five theaters to choose from at any given time while the Radnor Library across the street has multiple sections to choose from with thousands of books on the selves within them. They even have a small DVD section with hundreds of movies to choose from. These DVDs may only cost you $1 dollar and that rental of choice is yours for an entire three days. At Anthony Wayne the longest movie showing right now is This Means War. There are only two showings of that film and it last no longer than two hours. (0k 123 minutes but that includes trailers.) Movies may get more press and publicity but they also get more grief. As I pointed out before I have written close to 900 movie reviews. I don't ever remember reviwewing a book for pleasure. The book reports I wrote as far back as high school were always dreaded the day they were assigned until the day Mr. Beastly returned the graded paper. My movie reviews on the other hand I choice to write. They are a nice relaxing way to start the day when I am awake long before the sunrise. How do I deal with this insomnia predicament? I simply pop in a DVD and with in a few hours I have a review or at least the notes for one. Books on the other hand may take me weeks to read if at least and stay fresh in forefront of my mind and vocabulary for at least as long as I am reading the bookin question. my book of choose I borrow for free either from the local library or simply take from my overflowing bookself at home. On the rare occasion I do buy a book it will cost me anywhere form $2.99 to as high as $19.99. I draw the line at $20. Keep in mind that does not include textbooks or reader's manuals for school that may put my credit card bill in the triple digit category for the day. Do not forget these on campus bookstore purchases always include a litany of supplies a well. My Netflix bill is set at $15.99.

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm