Pageviews past week

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Flipped: By Wendelin Van Draanen A Book Report

This book was the He Said She Said of children’s literature. It was written in first person but from the point of view of both main characters. First is his point of view then hers. There are fourteen chapters in all and seven told from each person’s point of view. Who are these people you ask. Go ahead ask. They are Bryce Loskis and Julianna Baker. They are two young kids who live across the street from each other and go to the same school. They are even in the same grade. My sister gave me this book for Christmas and I liked it right away. You see she is a middle school teacher and always recommends the hottest kids books on the planet. I knew from the cover they already made this into a movie and looked forward to comparing them right away. This book was only 212 pages in length so I knew I would get through it quickly. I enjoyed it from start to finish and loved the style it was written in. The storyline was good to. It told about the jitters and feelings that go into that first crush. It told a complete story and left you yearning for more. That is in my opinion the sign of a good book. The characters were all three dimensional and well written. The storyline just deep enough to keep you interested and suck you in at the same time. It was a complete success and a fun book to read. I will tell my friends about this book and even watch the movie. I am looking forward to more books by this author. It was a compelling read and a cute story line too. Find it today at your local bookstore or simple borrow it from me. Grade A

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm