Pageviews past week

Thursday, July 25, 2013

National Lampoons Vacation

All in all I liked this movie. It spawned at least 3 sequels (Christmas Vacation 2 does not count.) and it was one of Chevy Chase's earliest and best films ever. It was also one of the most popular films in the National Lampoons’ series as well. While neither Mr. Chase nor National Lampoons were exactly strangers to the big screen when this film was released in 1983 it did increase the popularity of both cinematic titles. Animal House was National Lampoons first venture on the big screen and movies like Caddy Shack and Foul Play preceded this movie on Mr. Chase’s resume. This movie tells the tale of the Griswold family who venture across America from Chicago Illinois to southern California to visit a Disney Land like theme park named Wally World. I mean really, who are we fooling here?! If Roy Walley (president and owner of Wally World) is the spitting image of Walt Disney and Wally the Moose not a carbon copy of Mickey Mouse then I've got a bridge for sale in New York City. I will let bygones be bygones for now and get on with my take of this film. In short it was amazing. It contained classic slapstick silliness from Chevy Chase. (His style of comedy since SNL) and a great cast of cameos to boot. Randy Quaid more or les made his comedy debut in this film as "Cousin Eddy" and Christie Brinkley was the stereotypical hot blonde in the red sport car as well. Who can forget John Candy as the nameless security taken prisoner by a crazed Clark Griswold? (Chevy Chase) There were other big names in this cast too. Anthony Michael Hall played Rusty Griswold the patron son of Clark, and Eugene Levy did a cameo as the stereotypical "used car Salesman". Last but not least is the mother of the Griswold Family Beverly D'Angelo who was the perfect choose to play wife and devoted partner to Chevy Chase's character. My favorite role and best character in this comedy classic goes to Imogene Coca. Potential plot spoiler: She played Aunt Edna the gritty old complaining old hag who hated Clark with her last dying breath. (Aunt Edna dies if you remember.) Ok you can read on now. Ms. Coca was bet known as a television comedian and she played the perfect grandmother like character who was a key figure in this movie. The only thing I did not enjoy about this film and my only complaint as both a movie critic and a Christian is the fact that the film was given an "R" rating. It seems to this amateur critic that if it were not for Chevy Chase's frequent chants of anger (The F-bomb used often in these chants mind you.) that this film may have been better suited for a child friendly or family filled audience. I mean after all it is a family who is at the heart of this screenplay. Why should this film not be better suited for my family (or yours) not just the Griswold’s? I will still recommend this movie to one and all and simply warn them to not be offended by this lack of vocabulary skills on the father's part. You may even say I saved the best for last. This is after all the last of my 'theme of the week' films in my 'summer series' and may be the last theme of the week titles period. Note: I will be focusing on my schoolwork from now on. I am after Journalism major now so will be putting my focus on my school newspaper not this blogsot. Grade B+

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm