Pageviews past week

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Quiet Strength: By Tony Dungy (A Book Report)

Warning: This is written by a football coach. If you don’t like football, then you won’t like this book. Ok, you are still reading. Thank you. I liked it, I really liked it. This novel was a touchdown in my book. It was filled with interesting characters (all real) it was full of big names I’ve known to love and admire over the years. (Including Herm Edwards) I’m not even a Colts fan. I read the last third of it in one sitting. I learned a lot from reading this book. I also became bigger fan of football. I appreciate the sport more today. I am also a stroger Christian. (I’ve been one of those for 21 years.) This book shows that it is possible to have faith and passion in the same day, it shows that these characteristics can both appear in the same person. Tony had a faith for Christ. His passion though was for football though. It came across in his coaching and showed up in his zeal. He loved both with all his heart, and that came across in every game he coached. This book was well written and easily read. It was a joy to take and a breath of fresh air from reading fiction. I have never met Coach Dungy, but I feel like I know him. This book was personal with out being too intimate. It related to any football loving Christian like myself and may even relate to you if you want it to. Grade B+

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm