Pageviews past week

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cool Runnings

I dedicate this review to Kyle. My DVD player would not be working with out him and I would have to sit at my computer to watch it. He just recently had a birthday. This review is my present to him. I wont say how old he is. This is a public form after all. So here goes my birthday present to a good friend. You rock Kyle. This movie is the heavily fictionalized story of the first Jamaican bobsled team in the Olympics. The story tells of four dedicated runners who didn’t qualify for the 1988 Olympic team in Calgary Canada. It tells a story of such strong desire that they were willing to do anything to make it to Calgary that year. The idea seemed as preposterous then as it does now but they did it. They got laughed at, ridiculed and told they’d never succeed. They did it anyway and this is the story of how that went down. The acting was good. John Candy and Doug E. Doug lead the way and make this story believable. The plotline was decent and the comedy ok. I never got a good belly laugh but I did find the whole film amusing. (in a good way) The pacing was perfect. It never slowed down too much and kept my interest for the entire 98 minutes. There were parts that were trite and tired such as the overbearing control freak father, forbidding his son to do anything he (the father) did not approve off. I have seen that before in better films such as Dead Poet’s Society. Over all though I liked the film. The antagonists were a little lame and traditional but what do you expect. You have to make a believable story. Especially when it is based on fact. I don’t know how much of this story was true and how much was “ made for Hollywood”. I do not care either. I liked the film and that is as simple as it gets. I probably will not recommend this movie to anyone but that is only because I am too busy with work and finals (next week) to really socialize with much of anyone. I will say this however. Go out and rent the movie on your own and tell me if you enjoyed it or not. I love feed back on my blog and welcome anything that does not insult me the writer. So see it today and decide for yourself. Grade B-

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm