Pageviews past week

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Flipped (The Movie)


               If you read my blog archive you will see that I just recently finished reading this book and wrote a review for it. I am trying desperately hard not to compare this movie to the book. The book after all was unique and creative the movie was too but it was creative in a different way. Alas, I have discovered it is impossible to see a movie and not at least mentally compare it to the book I just read. So here goes my review. Be patient it is after a comparison. 

       The book was fun and exciting. It had a special kind of magic you don’t see in books much anymore. The movie however was not. It was still creatively told from the point of view of both characters. It lost the splendor of the book and the beauty between the pages. I liked the book a lot and could not wait to turn the page. When I watched the movie I obviously knew what would happen next and therefore was not so indulged. 

     The movie is never as good as the book. This is a forgone fact of life.  A book goes into more detail and tells a richer story. This was true with this particular adaption. I still enjoyed the film however I just was not flipped over it. The pacing was perfect and the acting top notch. 

     Rob Reiner directed this children’s story and it starred Anthony Edwards and John Mahoney. Who could go wrong with a group like that? Rebecca De Mornay gave a touch of beauty to the cast. The spotlight award however goes to uncredited actor who plays the uncle. He is only in one scene but it is an unforgettable one. 

      The movie as a whole was cute and entertaining. It kept me entertained for 90 minutes. It just was not as good as the book and did not hold that sparkle. See it however and decide for yourself. You might just like it on its own. 

                                                                                                                                                                                             Grade C+ 

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm