Pageviews past week

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Field Of Dreams


             Yesterday was Memorial Day. It is often considered the unofficial 
start of summer. (It is actually June 21st.) My two greatest loves for summer and baseball and movies. This movie combines the best of both worlds. (No, I did not just quote Hanna Montana). In fact this film takes place mostly in Iowa.

Other movies I’ve seen and or reviewed in the  in the past have shown the love one man has for his daughter. (Swing Vote) Yet other films have shown the love one man has for the game of baseball. (Bull Durham) Love stories between a man and a woman are a dime A dozen. (Dances with Wolves) Normally I might add I lividly detest Kevin Costner. Well I’m willing to put some crow on the BBQ Grill and eat a full helping. Along with humble pie for dessert. This movie was actually good. In fact it was heavenly.


This is the type of movie Mr. Costner should make more of, unlike Waterworld, The Postman and Robin Hood : Prince of Thieves. The films mentioned in the prevoius paragraph actually have plots decent acting and dare I say believable characters. Do I even want to get into the flicks mentioned in this one. Nahh, I want this to be a upbeat review. Lets focus on the positve  points.  

Gaby Hoffman is adorable in her big screen debut as the tenacious child.  Amy Madigan is splendid as the outspoken wife. They both make perfect housemates /family members to Ray Kinsella. (Kevin Costner) It is no surprise however that the light shines best on James Earl Jones who plays a now recluse fictional 60’s activist and author who is “kidnapped’ from his Brooklyn home and dragged to both Minnesota and Iowa. 


Well I hope that some one drags me out of my studio bachelor pad and drags me to Iowa. Maybe Adam and I can be friends after all if he shows me this Field of Dreams. He is from Iowa after at least his phone number is. You know the one he never calls me back on hint hint. I  still give this movie an. A my friendsship with Adam not so much. 


                                                                                                                                                                                                         Grade A

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm