Pageviews past week

Monday, December 8, 2014

Horton Hears A Who

˝ While I must admit that I don’t remember reading either of the Horton books as a child I do remember his motto. “An elephant is faithful 100 percent.” This movie may not be 100 percent faithful to the original book it is however 100 percent faithful to the memory of Theodore Geisel A.K.A. Dr Suess. Horton Hears a Who is a warm hearted, evenly paced, fun loving movie. Horton is the most dedicated elephant on Earth (or at least this setting). He will stop at nothing to save an entire village of Whos all small enough to live on a speck of dust. The message of the entire book and subsequent movie is a person is person no matter how small. I can certainly understand that. I have a dead end job that requires no skills. I am still a person though. Everybody at my job is. We are all hard working literally blue collared workers. None of us, even our store manager make enough money. We al live paycheck to paycheck and may even be in de ˝bt. Kids will love this movie because they are people too. They are physically small people and therefore relate to the message more so than adults. Dr. Suess was a children’s author by the way. I heard that he attempted a non children’s book once and it bombed. I grew up reading his work and my 5 year old cousin likes him too. His work is timeless and I hope more children are encouraged to read his books rather than watch his movies. There were no plot holes in this movie and no reason to dislike it either. I enjoyed it immensely. I was worried about being the only bachelor in the theater but those feelings quickly disappeared. The animation in this movie shows how far we’ve come since I was a kid (in the 70’s and 80’s). There is even one quick flash back to the animation of old. I do hope however that animation doesn’t change so much that it changes the values that cartoons were originally intended. To be fun and a creative outlet of the children in the hearts of the adult animators. Grade B ‰¯

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm