Pageviews past week

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Goldeneye

This was the first James Bond movie made in 6 years. (It to this day the longest gap between Bond films in the franchise’s history.) This was also the first Bond film starring Pierce Brosnan. He was 1st offered the role in the late eighties. For these reasons and I am sure a few others the writers of this film decided to write some of the most far fetched action sequences in 007’s history. This is obvious both in the pre-credits sequence and a particular chase scene involving a T-80BV tank through St. Petersburg in Russia. When this movie was finally released in 1995 I vividly remember seeing it in theaters on opening weekend. During the aforementioned pre- credits sequence a lady in front of me uttered four words that summed up this entire two-hour and ten minute film so perfectly. “I don’t think so!” Perhaps that unknown stranger was correct this just might be the most hard to swallow film to date. People did swallow it up though to the tune of $26, 205,007 in its opening weekend. (A record at that time.) I remember loving this film back then (in 1995) and even buying it on DVD more recently. Now however I am 37 years old. My only job is an entry-level position at a grocery story five minutes from my studio apartment and I am journalism major at Eastern University. For these reasons mentioned above and perhaps a few others I have developed a tougher skin when it comes to enjoying movies. I now see this film as ludicrous and insane. The storyline at the heart of this film is one of the best in the franchise’s history. The aforementioned actions scenes though give this film a more curdled feel in my stomach. The over all feel of this film is one of uneasiness and awkwardness. I will admit that the acting is top notch. I may also point out that the cast is one of the best to date and the Bond girls simple sizzle on both the big and small screen. The overall feeling (of this film) however is rather cold. You know like in St. Petersburg. I found myself dozing of in some of the most adrenaline pumping scenes and I had to get out of my rather small apartment as soon as the closing credits began to roll. I hate to criticize Mr. Brosnan’s long awaited debut as James Bond. I mean who do I think I am, a movie critic? I did not however love this film this time around. Who knows I may just be far too judgmental. This film just seemed to make my toes curl this time around. I am headed out the door now to seek a second job and take along walk down Route 30. That may result in more flat feet and a softer heart for films reviewed in the future. I’ll settle for a second job however that will result in more money in my pocket and who knows maybe then I’ll have less time to be so hard to please. Grade C-

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm