Pageviews past week

Monday, March 31, 2014

Four Christmases

In the last few movies I’ve seen in theaters I’ve compared their trailers to the actual full-length feature. Well today broke from my rule. I didn’t see the trailer so I had no idea what he movie was about. I was bored, I had the night off and I saw the names Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon on the marquee. I was intrigued. This will be my second Christmas review of the day. While the first made me feel all warm and cozy inside this one made me feel odd, uncomfortable, and ill at ease. Maybe that’s a good thing it shows the skill of a good writer. This movie was well written. The characters were well drawn. The actors were perfectly cast. I mean seriously Robert Duvall and John Voight as the fathers how wonderful. Sissy Spacek and Mary Steenburgen played the mothers; could life get any better? Watch this movie and decide. The main couple, played by the aforementioned eye candy duo were forced to introduce one another to their perspective families an inevitable fate they’d been avoiding or their entire 3-year relationship. The movie portrayed partners facing the unrelated torture of spending the holiday with their seemingly dysfunctional families. While I have never been a fan of black comedies I give the screenwriters kudos for drawing me into the individuals peril of spending any time with their own clan. The closing was both sappy and sweet not to mention predicable as well as inevitable. You could see it coming a mile away. Lackluster acting and all you feel for the loving couple and actually felt their pain when the final scene started like the beginning and brought you full circle back to the start of the chaos. Oh yea it made you laugh as well. Grade C+

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm