Pageviews past week

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pete's Dragon

I rented this movie because I remember it fondly from my childhood. My father and I agreed it was our favorite movie. I’m still not sure how heavily I was influenced by my father however. My mother loved Helen Reddy's Oscar nominated song Candle on the Water. I liked it because it was about an imaginative young boy like I was. I related to the title character. Oh yea, I liked the dragon too. Pete’s Dragon is a story of a young orphaned boy pursued by a greedy, loveless, ugly, family who wants nothing more than to exploit young Pete to do their chores. Pete is accompanied by his only and therefore best friend in the world. A often invisible dragon named Elliot who while completely innocent brings trouble to young Pete wherever they go. When the lovable duo enter a small New England town named Passamaquoddy the are instantly hated by the gullible townsfolk. When Pete takes refuge in a cave as an escape from an angry mob he is befriended by a lonely, heartbroken lighthouse keeper named Nora. (Helen Reddy) Her father is the town drunk (Mickey Rooney) and therefore she is always looking for a friend. The story is simple and heartwarming a tale any little boy will enjoy long in to his adulthood. (Much like I did.) Girls may love it too I can’t say I’ve never been a girl. This movie is just as much fun as I remembered it. The main characters are all well written and completely believable. The bad guys are totally deplorable, the good guys are all lovable and full of emotion. Even the comic sidekicks are enjoyable as well. The townspeople are completely persuadable as well they should be in any family film. Especially one made by Disney. The cast is top notch as well. Mickey Rooney, Shelley Winters, and Red Buttons are all veterans to the silver screen. Helen Ready is spectacular in her only leading role of her life and pretty much the only attempt at lead actress. Her voice is legendary. I can’t believe she wasn’t in more movies. Weather or not it’s her choice to stick to her wonderful singing career or not I’ll never know. I thought she was wonderful as an actress I’d love to see her do more roles. She is still so young and full of life. It would be wonderful to see her in another movie. This movie is one of several older Disney flicks to combine live action and animation and it did it 15 years before Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I remember this movie more fondly. I can watch this movie again and again. It was pleasant and charming. I may just add it to my permanent collection. What the hey, maybe I’ll get it for my little cousin too. He turns seven this summmer I’m sure he’ll get the same level of pleasure from it too. (He is pictued below.) Grade A

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm