Pageviews past week

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Haiti Benefit Concert at COS

I am the first to admit I know next to nothing about musical instruments. My sister’s piano teacher says I was unteachable when I was 10. In high school I took up the violin and was once again told I have no real skill with musical instruments. I once again however in college I tired again with a flute this time and was told my strengths must lie in other areas. I got the point, three strikes you are out. It does not take a Mack truck to get the point home with me. So needless to say I am in awe of people who have mastered the craft. Thus being said I went into Sunday night concert strictly as a volunteer usher. I was behind in my studies so had no intention of staying. Something told me to sit out the first piece and I did. After sitting there for the first piece I was floored. Never have I heard such elegant, majestic music escape from such a relatively small instrument. My jaw dropped to the ground and I was willing audience member for the rest of the show. Mr. Kim started off the night by showing off the Stradivarius violin he was graciously loaned before the show. He later went on to say how long it had been he’d be given such an honor and after the first three pieces commented on what a pleasure it was to play on one once again. I will admit I know nothing about such instruments. I do know however how rare a Stradivarius is. Hey I’m dumb, I aint stupid. David performed three pieces along side our resident pianist Ron Matthews. I found both artists to be amazing and am now not about to miss another concert of any type at Church of The Saviour. Heck I had just become a fan of classical music in general. I’d gladly pay to hear such joy in the future. I’m even willing to travel more than a mile and a half from my apartment to do so. Oh yea bye the way. There is one small detail I left out. He (David Kim) was joined on the third piece by his adorable nine-year-old daughter. She played her heart out and looked and sounded absolutely amazing playing along side veterans of the industry in her father and Ron Matthews. The three some reactive a standing ovation after they finished and there was not a dry eye in the house. Well at least not in my section of the pew. David and Ron finished their first three pieces in a row before the informative part of the evening came. We learned that there were a quarter of a million people killed the day of the major Earthquake. We also learned that the unemployment rate in Haiti was 70%. The point of the concert was to re build just one school. This school was not at the heart of the Earthquake but was still badly damaged nonetheless. David and Ron finished out the night with a fourth and finial piece. This I believe from the opera Carmen. I lost my program before I got home so I cannot tell you what classic noteworthy pieces were performed for sure. All I can say is that they were amazing. They were so amazing in fact, that there was a second standing ovation given to the performers at the end of the show. I went home a happy man. I was entertained. I was awestruck and I was willing to get up extra early the next day to catch up on my studies. I will never doubt a good concert again. I guess I learned a lesson that night. “Never underestimate the power of good music’! Grade A+

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm