Pageviews past week

Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Secret of NIMH

In the cobwebs of my memory I remember this film. I know it was about mice and rats and of course and I remember that it was a dark and shadowy film. Don Bluth directed this movie. Don Bluth may be best known as the director of An American Tail a film but that postdates the movie by four years. Both stories center around a mouse family but that is where the similarities end. One story is chipper and upbeat the other is not. The plot of this story is somewhat simple. A loving mother and widow must save her family of four young field mice from the farmer’s plow that threatens to destroy their home. Her one son is sick though and cannot be moved. So she must figure out a way to keep her family together and safe from harm. Dom De Luise may be the most recognized name in this voice cast but Wil Wheaton and Shannen Doherty also are included in this cast. The writing is sound and the storyline solid it is however a complicated plot that may confuse its target audience of children and parents alike. I myself found this plot to be to complicated myself and its 86-minute time line to be long and complicated. This film may be good for the more advanced children (like Drew) but I found the movie to be to difficult to follow myself. This is an animated children’s movie after all. The last think I want to do is put some serious thought in to it. Alas I did not really enjoy this film and must therefore say so in my review. There were simply to many characters and plot twist for me to follow so early on a Monday morning. I know that my mood greatly affects the grade I give a movie and perhaps I should watch this film at a later date. For today however I was not impressed. So therefore my grade will reflect that. See me again in a few months and I may have a new perspective on this film. Grade C+

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm