Pageviews past week

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Why Superman and Batman are 20th Century Versions of Jesus Christ

I have a theory that many people especially many Christians, may find hard to accept: The characters Superman and Batman are modern day examples of Christ's teachings: I come up with this theory because of who I am. I am a writer and a Christian and my fondness for writing comes out of the strength of my vocabulary. This strong vocabulary is a direct result of reading comic books. Christ, Superman and Batman are about 33 years in age. All three are heroes to many people, and all three have strong, noble, Biblical values for none of them has ever taken a life. The struggles you see within the pages of the Superman and Batman comics are similar to the ones read about in the New Testament. I have been a Christian now for twenty years. I have been a comic book fan since birth. Those fun little magazines have been with me since I was a child. Both in my youth and as a young teen I was a regular at my local comic book store. The first comic book hero is Superman and he was created in 1938. He was brought forth to bring light and heroism into dark times, as he was created during Great Depression. Batman was first inked one year later in 1939. Batman was written as a darker version of Superman and both comic book heroes were created by DC Comics. Superman can fly, he is virtually invulnerable and bullets can bounce of his chest. He lives in Metropolis. His alter ego is named Clark Kent and Clark works a reporter for a fictional newspaper called The Daily Planet. Batman on the other hand is a vigilante. His alter ego is named Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne is a self-made millionaire who is spends his days running Wayne Industries and most of his night prowling his hometown of Gotham City. His mode of transportation is the Batmoble and he drives it in to the night. He wears his cape and cowl to bring fear and justice to the villains of Gotham city. Superman on the other hand prefers daylight to be his backdrop. His strength comes from the yellow sun and he wears no mask or disguise on his face but instead sheds the glasses he wears as Clark Kent. As a Christian there are times I feel like soaring over the bustling Metropolis of my life. On the other hand I also feel like a vigilante at times. I want to drive into Gotham City and don my cape and cowl, fighting fist to cuffs with the villains or demons in my life. The comic book pages of Superman and Batman can easily be shredded or torn. The bright reds, neon blues and hot pinks of comic book pages eventually fade. God's Light can never be diminished and the Rock Solid teachings of Jesus will crush any shredder.

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm