Pageviews past week

Friday, April 19, 2013

To Gillian on her 37th Birthday

I rented this movie via netflix with one of my most dedicated fans (and strongest hagglers) as well in mind . The aforementioned Jill W. (See Star Wars Episode I) See hates being called anything but Jill and her name is not Gillian with a “G” or a “J” but I figured this was the best, cheapest and most appropriate birthday present I could give her for her 37th Birthday. I didn’t want to judge a book by it’s cover or a movie by it’s title alone so I went into this movie with out any preconceived notions. I was however confused. The synopsis on the DVD sleeve made it sound like a real depressing drama, an romantic tear jerker perhaps even a one hour and thirty two minute cry fest. The trailer on the DVD however made it seem more up beat like a comedy even or more like a dreamed. I am here tell you to always go with your first impression. This movie was downtrodden and depressing. It told of a man living with a great deal of denial and how his daughter (magnificently played by Claire Daines) was slowing becoming dysfunctional. It was not at all comedic. The score however was majestic. It started off somber in the opening scene and continued to penetrate from beneath the surface through this amazing film. The acting was of excellent caliber. The writing was astonishing as well. I could not even attempt to multitask while watching this movie on a lazy Sunday morning. I was glued to the rather small computer screen as I watched this gem of a movie unfold and each scene portray out into my living room and into my heart as well. I was in awe. I only have to minor gripes about this film. First of all within the first ten minutes we flashback to Gillian’s (Michelle Phiefer) death. David (Peter Gallagher) claims it is her 36th birthday. Yet the bulk of the movie takes place on the weekend anniversary of her death and birthday two years later. So how is it her 37th birthday. That is the name of the film right? The only other gripe I have is that it ends rater apparently. I felt as if I were in the middle of a scene when the movie just ending and the closing credits scrolled across the screen. I mean seriously what’s up with that. That however it will not take away from my joy from seeing this movie. I’ll have to take the grade down from an A to an A- however. And that just what you’ll get. Grade A-

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm