Pageviews past week

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mission Impossible 7

Warning: This Blog Entry will self-destruct in 3O seconds or less. (Originally Posted on November 7th aka 007 and Mission Impossible 7) I was thinking last night after a day of labor and toiling of some of the earliest writing assignments I was given as far back as grade school and one of them went some thing like this… You are the soul survivor or one few survivors of a nuclear war, fallout or holocaust. You come out of the bunker you took shelter in and you realize the full-scale ramifications of what has just recently occurred. You first step is to find a familiar place, object, or location and that survived the disaster. What would it be, how would you describe it. This is the first thing that entered my brain. As I am sure you all realize that as Christians we are told to go out and spread the word of God. So lets make this what if scenario a bit challenging yet somewhat familiar at the same time. For me I am sure the first place I would look for both solace and inner peace is with the sanctuary of my church. Considering the epic disaster that just occurred I might even go back to my roots or inner child. I therefore thought of the first church I remembered attending as a young boy. It was a Catholic Church and since many people both Catholic and protestant believe the Catholic Church to be the center of their Christian life and the very heart or core of the religious beliefs today. So it is my family’s church I went back to in my memory. This church had the crucifixion story depicted on the stain glass windows making up the perimeter of the church. I must admit it times it crept me out to see such a violent crime depicted in a place that is supposed to bring you love and calmness. So there for as a child my imagination explored many paths as the “boring” priest lectured on and on for what seemed liked forever. (In fact it was simply half an hour.) Which brings me to today topic for discussion and thought that has been running through my brain for the past 12 hours. For even as an adult my mind wanders. You decide that this Catholic Church I spoke of earlier is where you wish to set up shelter and as a result the center you branch out from. Since the Catholic Church is notorious for not carrying pew Bibles you have no written evidence that God or Jesus even existed in the first place. How then do you explain to the straggling survivors of the disaster I just described whom are literally coming out of the wood work (or other shelters.) that this story being depicted in the windows of the church you grew up in is a good thing. It after all is evidence of a seeming heinous crime or simply just another violent tale of pointless hate and murder. These people have just survived WWIII or at least the equivalent of it. All they can remember is senseless hate and destruction. It is your sole mission in life to spread the word of God. You after wish to bring hope to the hopeless. How do you go about doing so? What is your first step? Do you seek out other surviving Christians? Perhaps instead you look for more substantial truth that God is out there. For instance seek out other Bibles that may have survived the disaster. (Hint look for bookstores, libraries and even hotels.) We all know Bibles are found in such locations. So you mission if you choose it except it is the bring light into darkness, seek out truth and justice in a world that seems bereft of all love and compassion. This is after all our mission in life as Christians is it not?

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm