Pageviews past week

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Frost/ Nixon

This is a powerful and provocative film. I have written two movie reviews in less than 12 hours and both movies make me wish I were older. How odd a 35 yr old bachelor wishing he were older. Is not our lot in life to look and feel younger as we age? Star Trek ran in the 60’s. The impeachment hearings and subsequent interviews depicted in this film took place in 1977. I was only 3 years old. I wish though I were old enough to see these historical events turn out and unfold in the publics eye. This is a remarkable film because I know I feel as if I did (see it unfold real life). While this movie was only two hours and three minutes in length. The acting was astonishing. Kevin Bacon and Oliver Platt are the most recognizable faces. Michael Sheen (Blood Diamond) Frank Lengella (Superman Returns) were both wonderful as the titular characters. The direction of course was superlative, how can you not love little (now grown up and balding) Opie. He made his Splash on the big screen as director in 1984 and wrapped us in a Cocoon of his love the following year. Well today he made me think. As a writer I can give no man a more sincere compliment than he made me think. Grade A+

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm