Pageviews past week

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Fanboys

I have been looking for this 2008 film on Netflix for over three years now. Or at least it seems that I have. I admit I was bereft of information on which to search out this title. I know it starred “the guy who played TJ Hooker” but that is all I remember from the trailer. So I looked up William Shatner but no such film appeared on his resume. I also knew that plot (which is thin) but that does me no good on either Netflix. The aforementioned plot of the movie is thus. . A group of young Star Wars geeks attempts to break into Sky Walker Ranch in order to see the upcoming Star Wars prequel entitled Episode 1 The Phantom Menace. They have no lives of their own so do not have any reasons to listen to authority or common sense for that matter and just wait 6 months in their small Ohio suburb and see the film when it comes out in 6 months. So they take a road trip 2000 miles and venture in to San Francisco to get an early peek at this movie. This film was creative I’ll give you that. The screenplay brings to the surface the feud between Star Trek Fans and Star Wars Fans as well. I, unlike my biggest fan (Hi Lizzy!) a fan of both ventures. So that is one aspect of this film I didn’t get. I did however get the comedy with in the screenplay. The script as fresh and original (for a road trip like film) and I must admit I rather enjoyed it. The no name cast (much like in Star Wars) worked in the favor of the movie. It took away my focus on one particular actor and put it on the storyline. Which is as always where it belongs anyway. The pacing was good too. The film while only 90 minutes in length was perfect. I have said that 90 minutes in a good time frame for a film since it is either too long or too short to tell a story anyway. The acting was good too. I had no problem believing anybody was who he or she said they were supposed to be and I was not focused on one actor acting ability over the other. I enjoyed the cameos by the Likes of Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams and of course William Shatter. I recommend you rent this movie and decide for yourself if it worthy of praise and worship. I warn you however unless your gods exist on either Hoth or Vulcan you may not enjoy this film as much as I did. Grade C+

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm