Pageviews past week

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Caddyshack (Again)

This is supposed to be a classic comedy. It was made 31 years ago and is still considered by many to be hysterical and amazing. Well I just saw it all the way through for the first time today. Let me tell you something. I did not laugh once I did not even chuckle. The cast I’ll give you was fantastic. It contained a great 80’s cast of legendary comedians. It was the springboard for many of those actors to go on to bigger and better roles, such as Fletch, Back to School and Too Close for Comfort. The catch is however all of their characters could be summed up in simply one word. Here let me show you. Ted Knight: Angry Rodney Dangerfield: Wild Bill Murray: Moronic Chevy Chase: Laid back (Two words sorry.) And last but not least the lone female Cindy Morgan: Sexy As my old English teach always said if you can sum up the plot of a movie in one sentence or less that does not say much good about the movie. As a writer and movie critic I could no agree more. So along that line of thinking should not the same adage be held true for the characters? I think so. I grant you the story centered on or around the young caddy named Danny Noonan. This lead role was played by who was played by none other than Michael O’ Keefe. Who is Michael O ‘Keefe you ask? That is my point exactly he went on to do NOTHING! He could knock on your front door and you would not recognize him. This may be a good thing considering the paparazzi and insane media people nowadays but considering all the supporting cast members are still household names over three decades after this films release date. It does not look good for the over all feel of this movie. In case you had not noticed this movie did not really do anything for me. I watched out of ritual. It is a movie still spoken of today and cherished by many I might add. It was also one of the “Summer Films” I specifically listed my name in my profile. (Go on read it now, I beg of you.) Perhaps that is why I did not really enjoy it. That along with the fact that I have been up since five o’ clock in the morning. Oh yea did I mention there is a hurricane coming to blanket the east coast any time now. So this may be the last review I ever write. Ok not really but from the number of idiots going out to stores to buy, water and batteries today you would think it was the end of the world or something. I already played that game in May. Guess what it was all hype. Ironically enough that is how I felt about this movie. It was all hype too. Grade C-

No comments:

A note from an editor!

Hi Matthew,


Thank you for the time and effort you put into this piece, especially on a Saturday morning. I can tell you definitely took good notes of everything that was going on during the event!


We still have some work to do before this piece is ready to print. Your piece has a lot of information, but it doesn’t sound like a news article. What was the point of his speech/presentation? Why was he addressing this audience? What is Vanguard? What does the company do – who does it serve? You spend a lot of time narrating (for example, how he was injured), but did not report on the purpose of the event. You can maybe mention his appearance/joking about it in a sentence or two, but do not take several paragraphs to do so. Also, I like how you mentioned where the name “Vanguard” comes from.


There are a lot of spelling errors in this piece – make sure you proof read each sentence carefully.


I know I am getting back to you a little later I hoped, and I’m sorry about that! But if you have time tonight, please go through my suggestions and try to rework your piece. You can send me what you have tonight/tomorrow morning. Please bring a copy of it to the meeting tomorrow and we will discuss it further from there.


Once again, thanks for your hard work and promptness! Remember this is a learning process, and we are all part of the Waltonian team!


Talk to you soon!


Ten Most pathetic movie stars that still have careers.

(In A - B -C Order)


1. Hayden Christensen


2. Tom Crusie


3. Kevin Costner


4. Keeanu Reeves


5. Denise Richards


6. Adam Sandler


7. Arnold Schwarzenegger


8. William Shatner


9. Sylvester Stalloan


10. John Claude Van dahm